Shop

The Lost Streets of Wolverton

£11.99

Wolverton today is a part of Milton Keynes, but from 1838 it was an important railway town. Very few traces of the original town survive. This book tells the story of the foundation and building of the new town in rural North Buckinghamshire and attempts to reconstruct the early settlement from surviving resources.

SKU: 9781909054004 Category:

Description

Almost 175 years ago Wolverton was the talk of the nation. Steam locomotive power was able to transport goods and passengers between London and Birmingham at hitherto unheard of speeds, and Wolverton was, of necessity, the stopping point for refreshment and vehicle maintenance. The London and Birmingham Railway, several years in the planning, opened in September 1838. Within a year, a maintenance workshop at a midway point between London and Birmingham were complete and workers accommodation formed the beginnings of the town. The small town grew quickly on the back of the astonishing success of the railway and within a decade the population had outstripped that of the neighbouring coaching town of Stony Stratford.

While Wolverton survives today as a part of Milton Keynes,  very few traces of the original town survive. Indeed there is very little evidence that the railway works, once stretching a mile westward from the station, once dominated the town and the area and at its peak provided employment for over 5,000. This book tells the story of the foundation and building of the new town in rural North Buckinghamshire and attempts to reconstruct the early settlement from surviving resources.

 

Additional information

Weight 350 g
Dimensions 229 × 152 × 11 cm

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review “The Lost Streets of Wolverton”

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *